No time to read? My recommendation for the best basketball face mask/guard to buy is the Mueller Sports Medicine Face Guard.
Basketball is a high-intensity contact and physical sport requiring players to be agile, quick, and focused for the entire basketball game.
It’s a physical sport; getting whacked in the face is often inevitable. As a result, many players wear face guards to prevent this from happening or reduce the risk of reaggravating the injury.
The only problem is that face masks and nose guards aren’t created equally, and choosing the right one can be challenging.
In this article, I will explore different types of basketball face masks and provide a clear guide on what to choose when selecting the best option to protect your nose and face on the court.
I’ll also review in detail the following best basketball face guards, face shields, and face masks for broken nose.
- Mueller Sports Medicine Face Guard
- QianCheng Nose Guard Face Shield
- Colaxi Sports Face Mask
- QianCheng Nose Guard Face Shield for Broken Nose for Children, Teenagers Women
- Invera Nose Guard Face Shield Protective Mask for Broken Nose
My 5 Top Recommendations
To help you get the right one, I’ve listed the best basketball face masks and face guards on the market today. Let’s get into more details below.
- Made of Shatterproof Medical-Grade Polycarbonate Material
- Foam Padding for Comfortable Fit
- One Size Fits All
This Mueller face mask is all you need if you want a more comfortable and snug fit to protect your face, especially your nose, from further injury.
Injuries are common in this sport, and having a reliable Mueller face mask can do wonders for you, as you can set aside all your worries and play your game to the best of your capabilities.
One of the best features of this face mask is its built-in foam pads that provide enough padding to protect your face.
For the price, this nose guard is quite unbeatable in terms of features.
The Mueller face mask is made of medical-grade polycarbonate materials, a good option for anyone allergic to natural rubber latex.
- One size fits all is great for adults and kids
- It is made of durable and medical-grade materials
- It comes with adjustable straps with extra padding
- Good product shape contours easily
- Lightweight and no pressure put on the cheeks
- Good price for its purpose
- Visibility issues may arise due to the clear plastic construction
- Made of Polycarbonate Material
- Silicone Pads for Breathability
- Adjustable Safety Belt
The QianCheng Nose Guard is the perfect choice if you are someone who wants to avoid further injury when playing different sports.
From basketball to soccer and even baseball, this nose guard can help protect your nose from getting hurt.
This model of plastic always protects you with its adjustable straps.
In addition, this model is tough, durable, lightweight, and protects you from any stray elbows, limbs, or even kicks to the face during practice or an actual game.
The only problem I’ve encountered while using this product is that it has no padding, despite its price.
If you are on the road to recovery with an apparent head or nose injury, I highly recommend you choose a different model.
- It comes with adjustable features for a secure fit
- It is made of reliable plastic material
- Great for contact sports but not wrestling
- Adds extra protection in the nose area
- With anti-fog features
- Heat might be an issue as it sticks right into the skin
- Not the best protective equipment for comfort
- High price
- Made of Polycarbonate Plastic
- Contoured Fit for Added Comfort
- Crackproof and Shatterproof
The Colaxi Sports Face Mask might be the perfect nose guard for extra protection if you want a straightforward mask to protect your nose from further damage.
In addition, it is also made of polycarbonate plastic material known to be durable and typically stands the test of time.
When worn, it does provide comfort and doesn’t hamper your vision. The only problem I’ve experienced is its design.
This model protects the nose, cheeks, browbones, and sideburns. It doesn’t protect any other areas of the head.
As a result, an elbow to the face might protect your nose, but it doesn’t cover other parts of it – still, no pressure here as it can still serve its purpose in terms of protection. Good price to performance with lots of benefits.
- Good against sweat
- It comes with adjustable straps
- Made of durable plastic material
- Lightweight design and scratch resistant
- It doesn’t hamper vision when playing
- Reasonable price
- No padding installed
- Made of Polycarbonate Plastic
- Shatterproof and Machine-Washable
- High strength, High-elasticity, High-Impact Strength
If you want to perform at a high level without hampering your vision, this Nose Guard from QianCheng is one of today’s best products. It is made of polycarbonate material to ensure durability.
Also, what I loved about this model is its design offers non-slip cushioning while not hampering visibility. Right from the start, playing with these is a breeze.
I can safely say it doesn’t obstruct your vision, and for the price, it is more than enough to guard your nose area when playing basketball or any kind of sport.
Overall, I felt the protection I needed with this nose guard. The shape isn’t too obstructive and is ideal for players coming off an injury or any orbital injuries.
It also has youth sizes, so you’ll have no problems with the fit, and you can purchase this one easily because it is always available on the market for a lower price.
- It is made of a reliable material
- Great for anyone who is still experiencing pain
- No vision issues or impediments
- It doesn’t feel obstructive when you wear it
- Affordable price
- Inconsistent fit
- Slightly bigger straps
- Made of Lycra Material
- One Size Fits All
If you are coming off an apparent nose injury and are planning to purchase a face mask for cover, the Invera Nose Guard might just be the protection you need.
The Invera Nose Guard is made of Lycra material, known for its elasticity and durability without breaking the bank. It’s a great attribute if you want to avoid stray elbows and bumps to your head.
I wore it several times to determine the product’s effectiveness during actual games. Much to our amazement, it didn’t hamper our vision or general visibility despite its clear plastic construction.
It has padding, which makes it comfortable to wear, and the lightweight design doesn’t put too much strain on your head.
For the price, it is a good mask to safeguard your nose from getting hit by players during practice or a live game.
- No vision obstruction or sight difficulties
- Wearing this mask doesn’t put too much strain
- Made of reliable Lycra material
- Good for basketball and other contact sports
- Guards the nose extremely well
- Very comfortable to wear with enough padding
- No scratch-resistant features
- Many people might not get accustomed to the closure type
What Is A Nose Guard And Why Should You Use One?
A nose guard, commonly called a face shield, is a type of protective equipment players use to prevent themselves from further face injuries or getting one.
As I’ve mentioned, basketball is a highly physical contact sport.
Players often found jousting for positions under the rim or going for a layup can be hurt with an inadvertent elbow or hand.
As a result, you will most likely get struck in the face, head, or nose.
One of the most common injuries that players wear face guards is a broken nose, orbital injuries, and lacerations.
To avoid injuries players have relied on face guards for years to avoid this common issue.
Also, face guards are great options to avoid reaggravating the issue for people already suffering from facial injuries.
What Are Injuries to Expect if You Do Not Use a Nose Guard for Basketball?
There are many reasons players decide to use nose guards; one of the most obvious ones is to prevent injury.
Here are some of the prices you will have to pay if you are not using a nose guard or face mask:
- Nose fractures
- Nose bleeds
- Orbital fractures
- Minor cuts and grazes
- Open wounds
What Are Things To Consider When Using A Face Guard When Playing Basketball?
Before heading out to your local store to buy one, you might want to consider a few things to determine the right protective equipment.
- Durability: One of the primary uses of masks is to protect you from injuries; it’s important to have masks made of strong materials to keep you safe from elbows, hands, or even basketball hitting you. I recommend opting for impact-proof or shatterproof materials as they can be your protection by all means. The only downside is that the more robust the material is, the heavier it gets, and the price increases. So, get the best of both worlds with a lighter but reliable material. A mask made of plastic material is often an affordable choice as it serves its purpose without paying a high price.
- Vision: Wearing masks will most likely hamper a little of your vision, so your goal should be to choose a mask to help you get a clearer view of what’s in front of you. I recommend looking for masks with anti-fog features as they specialize in providing a better view as it doesn’t make too much moisture or fog when you wear them. Lastly, always look for nose guards that can provide a better peripheral view regardless of where you are on the court when playing basketball.
- Comfort: Since you will wear them most of the time, especially during your basketball games, you want something comfortable with plenty of cushioning, protection, and an adjustable strap. Ideally, a mask that has plenty of padding should be comfortable. In addition, you also want some extra air holes so it can blow air right past the mask to dissipate heat and avoid moisture.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
If you have additional questions regarding face guards, basketball masks and face shields, you might find some of your questions answered down below.
Why Do NBA Players Wear Face Masks?
Most NBA players use face guards because they don’t want to get injured.
Rip Hamilton is one of the most popular NBA players to wear a face mask throughout his entire career. He mainly wore one because his nose was broken three times.
After breaking his nose multiple times, he wanted to safeguard it and used it for protection over his entire career in the NBA. The same can be said for most NBA players.
Why Do Basketball Players Wear Plastic Face Shields?
Overall, one of the reasons why they use them is for protection.
It can be from a previous injury, or the nose hasn’t healed. That is the only reason basketball players use face guards most of the time.
Basketball is a highly competitive sport. If you are coming off a facial injury, you want something that can shield you play-by-play on the court.
You want something like a face shield, so you won’t have a hard time avoiding not getting whacked by your opponents in the face and causing further problems.
Nevertheless, this article should give you some of the best options to safeguard yourself from accidents and mishaps when playing basketball.